This homemade salmon marinade makes the best, and easiest, most wonderful grilled salmon I've ever had. The marinade is essentially a very simple homemade teriyaki, and is fabulous on chicken, too, but my absolute favorite way to use it is to make this amazing grilled salmon.
We originally got this recipe from watching the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy years ago, and it's been a family favorite and a dinner staple for us ever since. So it was the perfect recipe to share with you for this month's Taste Creations Blog Hop, since our theme this July is On the Grill.
I also make an Instant Pot version of this recipe (shared below) for a quick weeknight meal when I've forgotten to defrost the salmon, and it's good, but you just can't beat the amazing flavor of this grilled salmon recipe.
The first step in the recipe is to defrost the salmon (if bought frozen, of course).
How to Defrost Frozen Salmon Without a Microwave:
- Keep the frozen salmon in its plastic vacuum packaging. Place in a bowl with warm water. If water gets cold, replace with fresh, warm water. In about 15 minutes the salmon will be thawed through, and with no risk of accidentally cooking the thinner sections like a microwave is prone to do.
The BEST Grilled Salmon Marinade Recipe:
- 1 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (the dark, flavorful kind)
- 1/4 cup honey (can also use molasses)
Mix marinade ingredients together until honey dissolves into the soy sauce. Let salmon soak in marinade for at least half an hour.
Grill the marinated salmon. Turn the salmon over about halfway through the cooking process.
How to Grill Salmon?
- It depends on the thickness of your fish, how well done you want it, and the heat of your grill, oven, or pan, but a good rule of thumb is 8 minutes per inch of thickness to the fish.
Want a one page, printable version of this recipe, including the Instant Pot variation on this recipe? Here you go!
Printable Grilled Salmon Marinade Recipe, and an Instant Pot Variation of this Recipe:
And be sure to check out the other delicious summer grilling recipes from my friends in the Taste Creations Blog Hop:
Our Good Life: Juicy Marinated Burgers
Mom Home Guide: Easy Grilled Personal Pizzas